1. Do your research here and on the internet to find a host that works for you.
2. Every host has had some problems, but that doesn't make them bad.
3. If you find a host that's too good to be true, it probably is. Just remember this, you get what you pay for.
4. There's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth and storage space, so don't waste your time with hosts that offer this.
5. Once you find a host ask questions to see if they fit your needs, and see how long it takes for them to respond.
6. Go with a host that has a 30 day money back gaurantee.
7. I have nothing agains't one year hosting payments up front, but if you're starting out it's better to pay monthly.